[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Name object on Activity exit revisited

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Thu Jun 2 14:01:21 EDT 2016

El 02/06/16 a las 12:50, Walter Bender escribió:

> On Thu, Jun 2, 2016 at 1:38 PM, Sebastian Silva
> <sebastian at fuentelibre.org <mailto:sebastian at fuentelibre.org>> wrote:
>
>     Not every time you do an activity are you doing work worth
>     committing. For instance I work with a lot of terminals, that I
>     reuse and there's no point in committing terminal sessions.
>
>     So imho Sugar should not force you to commit if you don't want to.
>

> We had long ago talked about letting some activities opt out.
> Regardless, adding the commit message back with an opt-out button is
> fine with me, but I still don't understand what problem we are solving.
Good question. I hope Tony can answer that. If I understood him
correctly he's trying to avoid having many journal objects currently
having exactly the same name thus being indistinguishable from each other.

> If I understand it, Tony also wants to circumvent the relaunch last
> instance by default as well. In the case of your Terminal example, it
> would mean you'd have Terminal instances in your Journal for each time
> you used the Terminal unless you too the time to go to the Journal and
> search for a previous instance. I think that makes the spam problem
> worse, not better.
I tend to agree with you on that one. Tony makes a valid point that
Sugar, more often than not, is used by many learners who may not expect
to open somebody else's work by default.

Just a detail in your conclusion, is that, by having a `don't commit`
option, I would have probably no journal objects at all for Terminal.