[Sugar-devel] Thoughts on Collab

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Tue Jul 26 15:05:05 EDT 2016

On Jul 26, 2016 2:36 PM, "Sebastian Silva" <sebastian at fuentelibre.org>
wrote:

> El 26/07/16 a las 13:08, Dave Crossland escribió:
>>
>> Despite my suggestion to look at zeromq, I think we should be using the
collaboration protocols that Lionel is using in Sugarizer, so that someone
running Sugar desktop and someone using Sugarizer on a Chromebook (for
example, 2 kids in a family at home who attend 2 different schools that
have different hardware purchasing decisions ;) could collaborate.

> It's not a dichotomy.
>
> If two users use the same app [and it supports collaboration] - it should
just work regardless of the environment where they are run.

> Much like running etherpad @ titanpad.

I mean to propose a requirement for any new collaboration system that is
recommended to all sugar developers be that it support collaboration
between a python paint application and a Javascript paint application.

And therefore the system that meets that requirement is the one used by
sugarizer today.

>> However, I am eagerly awaiting Sameer's next installment of the vision
quest process, because without the vision/mission/etc defined, we can't
make informed technical decisions about what kind of collaboration
protocols are best.

> Maybe we shouldn't have to judge - they can all coexist.

An anti-design approach where no system is recommended and each activity
developer can figure out their own system seems counter to the aims of a
cohesive and consistent learning platform in which collaboration is
promoted as a top tier feature :)