[Sugar-devel] Thoughts on Collab

Sam Parkinson sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Tue Jul 26 06:32:05 EDT 2016

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 8:24 PM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>
wrote:
> As always - the devil is in the details. Does this support
> jabber.sugarlabs.org? Does it support ejabberd.

No.  We will probably host a new server if needed.  That will be
discussed as the implementation is done.

> Does it support communication between XOs with different builds (e.g.
> 0.110 with 0.94)?

No.  We are experimenting with writing a new system.  Backwards
compatibility is *not* the aim - the aim is to remove the technical
debut and make a system that is better for users.

It will also probably *not* be part of 0.110.  We haven't even written
a working prototype yet.

> Does it support ad hoc (the current mesh technique).

Ad hoc just creates wifi networks right?  This is targeting
collaboration over lan wifi networks.  Again - the code has not been
written yet.

Also, didn't you say that ad hoc is too unreliable for the real world?

Thanks,
Sam