[Sugar-devel] Thoughts on Collab

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Mon Jul 25 22:23:13 EDT 2016

On Jul 25, 2016 10:13 PM, "Sam Parkinson" <sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 9:56 AM, Abhijit Patel <abhisandhyasp.ap at gmail.com>
wrote:

>> I have just found python modules like socket[1]  for low level
networking interface and SocketServer[2] which simplifies the task of
writing network servers.

>> Could using these modules be a better option?
>>
>> [1] https://docs.python.org/2/library/socket.html
>> [2] https://docs.python.org/2/library/socketserver.html
>> Thanks,
>> Abhijit
>

> Hi Abhijit,
>
> I think it would be good to just use TCP for our application protocol.
Topology wise, I think we should do like AbiWord does.  That is, we have a
"leader" and everybody connects to the leader.  The leader will then parse
the messages, optionally process them, and rebroadcast them to all the
other clients.

> Initially, the leader can probably be the person who 1st shared the
activity.  But if that person disconnects, or their computer looses power,
we need to change the leader.

> We probably can't use the socket module directly, as we need Glib
mainloop integration so we don't block the ui.  GLib will take a file
handle and give us a mainloop IOChannel via this api [1].

Please checkout zeromq :)

http://lazka.github.io/pgi-docs/index.html#GLib-2.0/structs/IOChannel.html#GLib.IOChannel.unix_new
https://developer.gnome.org/glib/stable/glib-IO-Channels.html#g-io-channel-unix-new