[Sugar-devel] Thoughts on Collab

Sam Parkinson sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 24 06:03:33 EDT 2016

I actually don't want to use XMPP for the new collab system.  I don't
care how nice the library is.  Telepathy isn't the best, maybe pyxmpp2
or nbxmpp are better.  But xmpp is not the right protocol for sugar.

Say you want to solve problem 2 and have a shared group channel.  You
could use xmpp, but then every message you send has a huge xml wrapper
around it adding metadata.  The metedata is useful for an IM
application, but not very useful at all for Sugar.  So then maybe you
use a stream tube over xmpp?  Well (at least for telepathy - but it is
probably due to the xmpp protocol), you need to estabilish a group chat
before you can call the stream.  Boom, added 200loc and another few
round trips before the activity starts collaborating.

You also say that XMPP is standard, which is nice.  I like standards
too.  But the way sugar uses xmpp, there is little point to it being
standard.  "Standard" in Sugar content means you choose between
ejabberd, jabberd and parsody.  You can't collaborate between Write
activity and $other_word_processor.  You can't collaborate between
Bibliography activity and $other_bibliography_manager.  Even if you
could, that would be based on the "Bibliography Manager Collaboration
Standard" - not XMPP.

Sugar has generic applications - not chat clients.   We need a generic
application protocol - not an IM protocol.

Sebastian raised the point of backwards compatibility for his use case.
 I think that we can provide a chat bridge no matter the technology.
We could also just expose chat activity inside traditional dekstop
environments, as your work continues to move towards.

Thanks,
Sam