[Sugar-devel] Thoughts on Collab

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Sun Jul 24 00:03:09 EDT 2016

El 23/07/16 a las 19:36, sam at sam.today escribió:

> Avahi is very fun to work with:
>
>     avahi-publish-service "Sam P" "_org_sugarlabs_collab_user._tcp"
> 8080 "name=Sam P" "color=#fff,#000" "other_metadata=other_value"
>     avahi-discover
>
> All of the backends could give us an ip and a port to reach the other
> person.  For the avahi backend, this would be a direct connection to
> the other buddy.  For the schoolserver, it would be proxied through
> the schoolserver.
>
> I'd love to hear your thoughts on the other problems, and on this
> problem to.

It sounds like you have your mind set on a solution already, from the
ground up. That's fine if you are willing to tackle the task.

I'm more of a re-user.

I always thought XMPP was a good idea. Have you tried /gajim/?

https://gajim.org/

It is an XMPP client that is allso P2P and fully written in Python/GTK.

Perhaps some of its code can be reused, for F1 view and other goals. I
think a solution on top of this could even be made backward compatible
with current Sugar (for the most part).

I'm all for a custom server component, perhaps it could be built on top
of this.

Regards,
Sebastian