[Sugar-devel] Migration to Python 3

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Sat Jul 16 13:55:47 EDT 2016

El 29/06/16 a las 14:03, Dave Crossland escribió:
> On 29 June 2016 at 14:22, Sebastian Silva <sebastian at somosazucar.org> wrote:
>> Really Sugar Labs doesn't distribute operating system releases, it's up to
>> distributors.
> If 0.112 is 100% Python 3, how would OLPC or others make images that
> support running python2 and python3 activities in the same Sugar?
It's hard to keep up with you but I'll try ;-)

By default distributions will decide which python to use.

If an activity is ported they can change the activity.info to use
python3. Really it shouldn't be a problem.

Note that python2.7 is supposed to have support till 2020.

Python3 is a much nicer language especially if you use non-english
characters since it fully supports utf-8 by default.

The real issue is what to do about telepathy. I wonder how many use
cases are covered by it.