[Sugar-devel] [sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3] Save As Popup (#327)

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Fri Jul 15 10:21:00 EDT 2016

Hi, Dave

I suppose this discussion is valuable if it helps make folks aware of
what is going on.

On the school server, I have a tutorial sequence to introduce users to
basic html5 and css. This is followed by a presentation based on the
text Eloquent Javascript.

For the html introduction, I suggest that users create a text file
skeleton of a web page (skeleton.html) which is:

<!Doctype html>
</head>
<title></title>
</head>

This represents the text for their web pages. For example, to make
'Hello World!', they would open the skeleton.html file in a text-editor
(nano). They would add the line to the body element: <h1>Hello
World!</h1> and save it. I recommend this be done in
/home/olpc/Documents. The user goes to the Journal and copies
skeleton.html to the Journal. The user than can resume the journal
object in Browse.

With the Fiddler feature, the file can be opened using an object chooser
rather than resume. After making modifications using the Fiddler
feature, the user can rename the project and save. Now the Journal has
two objects: skeleton and helloworld. To make the next page, the user
opens skeleton again and makes a new page, saving it under the new name.

Initially, I thought we would do this using the Journal to resume.
However, this has some problems. First, if Browse is running, a new
instance is launched instead of opening the url in a new tab. Second,
the skeleton file would be lost, replaced by the Hello World file. This
is a serious defect in Sugar (activity.py) which Utkarsh has fixed.
Luckily, the object chooser does not have this problem.

I don't know how anyone who has looked at a Journal on a deployed XO
could imagine that users routinely supply names to their projects. I
could provide a name for a Terminal session - debugging xyz - and use
this information to resume it. However, this is not useful enough to
take the time. However, I have no problem with nano requiring me to
choose whether to save the buffer or not, or giving me the ability to
change the name as I wish. For example, I may find I have edited a
system file as a user. So I save it in /tmp/file_name. I can then do
sudo mv /tmp/file_name /usr/lib/..../file_name saving having to perform
the edits over.

Note: the ubiquitous popup menus in 0.1.06 are modal. Normally, they go
away if you click somewhere else on the screen; however, while one is
open, it is not possible to switch to the Journal or another activity.
The Journal in that version pops up these gratuitously during and after
a copy.

It is amazing to me that the folks who are so adamant against the alert
in 'save as' have accepted it as useful in the screenshot PR. This
modified the UI so that the user clicking on alt+1 gets an alert
offering an opportunity to provide a name for the screenshot (and not
going away before the user does and clicks save or doesn't and clicks
cancel).

Tony