[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Re: PR comments on 'Save as

Martin Dengler martin at martindengler.com
Mon Jul 11 18:37:38 EDT 2016

On Mon, Jul 11, 2016 at 05:18:00PM +0200, Tony Anderson wrote:
>Hi Martin,
>
>It seems to be nostalgia week. The goal is to have the user supply a
>name. Whether the text says untitled, Write.activity, execrable, or is
>left blank. The user will not be able to save until a title is
>supplied. There would be literally no 'untitled' or 'Write.activity'
>documents in the Journal.

This design decision of not forcing the user to name an activity has literally
been consciously made since the first deployment of Sugar:

http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2008-October/009151.html
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/3225
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2008-October/009157.html
 ("Sugar default naming scheme")
http://lists.sugarlabs.org/archive/sugar-devel/2008-October/009152.html

The has many nuances, so I don't want to be the penut gallery too much, but it
seems to me that forcing kids to name activity instances upon closing[1] would
seriously change (for the worse, IMO) the Sugar user experience.  The children
I have observed using Sugar would for sure spend longer closing and switching
between activities without any benefit from this modal alert. Is it only going
to be some activities, like Write, that require (or default to) this?  Are you
sure you want to undo/change these very old design decisions?

Martin

1. My interpretation of the hypothetical proposals in "Sugar Journal save
option" on https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code/2016 and the video on
the "Save As" patch at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xcvBH7zzFBo .