[Sugar-devel] [GSOC] Font Editor Next Steps

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Jul 3 22:28:06 EDT 2016

Hi

On 2 July 2016 at 04:35, Yash Agarwal <agrwal.ysh94 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'll make the complete week report on Sunday

(Posted on the blog at
https://sugarlabs.github.io/edit-fonts-activity/minimum-viable-product)

I spoke to Yash on IM and he's suffered a hardware failure over the weekend
so he's slipped a few days.

I am worried that we now have a bunch of stuff that is half done, but the
core user story - as I described on
https://sugarlabs.github.io/edit-fonts-activity/core-user-story - still
isn't possible.

I want to get the development to the point where users can actually do
something useful - even if it is very simple and limited - and then have
the development structured for iteratation. We can make the product
definition smaller and smaller but still wide enough to cover the core user
story process. Then when we have something people can use productively, we
can survey the whole project and look at the weakest parts and decide on
priorities.

I suggest to focus on the early part of core user story process: we need to
be able to make a new font, add glyphs to it, and then add contours to
those glyphs, and set their sidebearings.

To simplify creating a new font, hardcode it with these 101 glyphs -
https://github.com/google/fonts/blob/master/tools/encodings/latin_unique-glyphs.nam#L3-L103
- and forget about adding arbitrary new glyphs.

To simplify the add contours part, let's forget curves for now, and just
allow for straight lines only; then we can make fonts likehttp://
fonts.google.com/specimen/Geo

To simplify sidebearings just set them all to 600, and forget about editing
them.

Then, the user can make a new font, draw a some squarish letters in a
monospaced design, and use their font in the write activity.

Once that works, I suggest to halt writing new code and work on the code
documentation, and the .xo packaging, the travis build checking, and
other 'non code' development tasks.

Cheers
Dave