[Sugar-devel] Sugar on Ubuntu

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Fri Jul 1 08:55:09 EDT 2016

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 8:51 AM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:

> Hi, Walter
>
> My bad. I meant /home/olpc/Activities. The Ubuntu version uses
> /usr/share/sugar/activities so that all accounts can access the same
> activity set.

I have not tried the latest Ubuntu Sugar packaging, but it has long been
the case that we support looking for activities in both
/usr/share/sugar/activities and $HOME/Activities. User-installed activities
end up in $HOME/Activities. The bug as you are reporting it seems to be
that the list view is not finding the latter activities. The log file may
be revealing. Can you please post it?

-walter

> Tony
>

> On 07/01/2016 01:07 PM, Walter Bender wrote:
>

> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 7:01 AM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>
> wrote:
>
>> I installed Sugar 0.107 on Ubuntu 14.04 as described in
>> <https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Ubuntu>
>> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Ubuntu.
>>
>> Activities in this version are at /usr/share/sugar/activities not
>> /usr/olpc/Activities. However, sugar-install-bundle
>> installs activities at /usr/username/Activities not in
>> /usr/share/sugar/activities. As a result, the activity is not available in
>> the List view.
>>

> I would have expected Sugar to look in /usr/share/sugar/activities and
> $HOME/Activities as it does on Fedora systems. I was unaware of it ever
> looking in usr/olpc/Actvities (maybe on a really old version of Sugar???)
>

>> The activities in /usr/share/activities need 755 permission not 700 as
>> given by sugar-install-bundle.
>>
>> Incidentally, Ubuntu has changed the login screen. The choice of desktops
>> is not made with a small icon at the top right of the login screen, not by
>> an icon on the login itself.
>>
>> Tony

> Walter Bender
> Sugar Labs