[Sugar-devel] [Announcing] UNSTABLE 0.107.1 release (feature freeze)

Samuel Greenfeld samuel at greenfeld.org
Tue Jan 5 07:04:18 EST 2016

In general, many widely used Sugar distributions are based on Operating
Systems that are at least a few years old and full of security holes.

Bringing them up to date for computers like XOs that need updated hardware
drivers would require a fair amount of effort.   (Hence the move by some
groups to standardized hardware and Ubuntu for long-term support.)

The primary mitigating factors {if you could count them as such} are that
(1) many Sugar users are offline or barely online, and (2) the obscurity of
someone trying to hack telepathy versus using a wider exploit against
something like libjpeg or OpenSSL.

But I wouldn't rely on obscurity as your sole protection.