[Sugar-devel] Details regarding GSOC projects

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Thu Feb 25 07:24:37 EST 2016

On Thu, Feb 25, 2016 at 3:31 AM, vishal.batchu <
vishal.batchu at students.iiit.ac.in> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was going through the projects mentioned on this year's GSOC page,
> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Summer_of_Code/2016
>
> A few of the projects interested me and I was seeking for more details
> regarding them.
>
> 1)Sugarizer activity set
> For this we are required to port the 3 activities to javascript. Are we
> restricted to these 3 or can we expand the project if time permits us to?

> 2)Tux Math
> I was quite interested in this activity as I have used it before and found
> it a great tool and a fun way to learn. Are we supposed to implement this
> as a python activity or a javascript activity?

In this case, Python would be the priority.

> 3)Nutritional Microworld
> It was mentioned that we require a set of activities exploring nutrition.
> Will we be needed to come up with ideas for these activities by ourselves
> or are there any specified activities that are required to be implemented
> in this project? Should this be based on python or javascript?

I have some general ideas based on the nutrition plugin available both in
the Python and Javascript versions of Turtle. Blocks. What is missing in
part is a broader sense of how the various components can be used to define
a "an open-ended, yet relevant tool—one that invites learners to explore
fundamental concepts from nutrition that are both intrinsic yet
transcendent." Just like in Music Blocks, where we built in the core
operators to manipulate music in a musical way, we want core operators for
nutrition. We have rhythm and pitch and notes in music, but also
transposition, repeat, staccato, etc. In the nutrition plugin we have fat
and fiber, but no higher-level concepts.

> 4)Reflection Activity
> What is it that is required from this activity? Is it related to
> https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activities/Reflection or is it something
> more on the lines of self introspection and reflection?

That is the wrong activity. You want to start with
https://github.com/walterbender/reflect which is all about reflecting upon
Journal entries and sharing those reflections.

> Also I wanted to know if we are allowed to choose more than 1 project to
> work on? (supposing they are small projects)

The project ideas are starting points for your ideas.

> I am a sophomore from International Institute Of Information Technology
> Hyderabad (IIITH) and have experience on working with Python, Javascript,
> HTML, CSS, C/C++ and PHP.
>
> Regards,
> Batchu Vishal
> (erilyth)