[Sugar-devel] GSoC proposal status

Jerry Vonau me at jvonau.ca
Sun Feb 21 21:24:17 EST 2016

Hi Samuel,

> On February 21, 2016 at 5:56 PM Samuel Greenfeld <samuel at greenfeld.org>
> wrote:
>

> Just for the record:
>
> The XO laptop backup mechanism for Sugar creates separate
> "datastore-YYYY-MM-DD_HH:MM" directories for each backup.

That is not integrated into sugar(the last time I looked), there is no way
from the UI to alter any of that parameters stored as gconf keys(that might
need attention now... gsettings) in the user's profile that used in the
operation of the service. The rpms were supplied by olpc, these would not
be normally installed on a non-XO sugar install therefore are not present
on anything other than an XO. Think sugar is moving beyond XOs and needs
something better and more universal for all sugar users to use.

> If I recall correctly, the schoolserver also periodically looks through
> these backups, hardlinks identical items to save space, and prunes
> backups
> beyond a set age.

I don't recall the hardlinking but there is a default of 3 months of
backups to keep.

> I wouldn't be against fixing and/or redesigning XO backup & restore, but
> at
> least on an XS schoolserver these already are versioned.

You are assuming that ds-backup is used. There is now the builtin backup to
usbdrive in the controlpanel, I see no reason that functionality couldn't
be reused with a backend that is not a usbdrive but some network based
storage(GSOC task?). Kind of reminds me of the "Example Workflow for
Via-School-Server Mode"[1] where the connection was a webdav share on the
'schoolserver' Come to think of it that is more of a local/remote journal
layout than a backup service but I'm just using it as an example of a
network filesystem.

Tony,
>From your earlier description of your preferred workflow for the journal,
maybe this is what you are seeking? Not as is but in a general sense? Think
the pictures[1] make a good visual representation of the local/remote
journals and moving objects between them via "CopyTo". Think to be more
effective there should be a "MoveTo" (ArchiveTo?) in the dropdown menu
should this move forward.

> I have not tried XSCE to see how it handles things.

Samuel,
George ported ds-backup to apache2.4, is installed and available for use on
the XSCE. In testing while olpc-au and activity-central were spearheading
the XSCE project the service seemed to work the same as what was offered on
XS's CentOS-6 base. You are welcome to test but I would rather not have to
carry our own version and be the sole point of support, after all the XSCE
is a volunteer driven endeavor.

Jerry

1. https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/Transfer_to_many_options

> On Sat, Feb 20, 2016 at 9:40 PM, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net>