[Sugar-devel] [GSOC] Font Editor Next Steps

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Thu Apr 28 23:10:36 EDT 2016

+eli, sugar-devel

Hi Yash

Hope you are doing well and your exams are good :)

Eli and I just got an email from the GSOC team that sets out some things
that you should do in the next 2 weeks as part of the 'community bonding'
period:

- Becoming familiar with the community practices and processes. (This often
involves a mix of observation and participation.)

- Active posting on Mailing Lists / IRC / etc
.
- Setting up their development environment.

- Small (or large) patches/bug fixes. (These do not need to be directly
related to the GSoC project.)

- Participating in code reviews for others. (Even someone who isn't
familiar with the project can contribute by pointing out potential
inefficiencies, bad error handling, etc.)

- Working with the mentors and other org members on refining their project
plan. This might include finalizing deadlines and milestones, adding more
detail, figuring out potential issues, etc.

- Reading (and updating!) documentation they will need to understand to
complete their project.

- Reporting or replicating bugs.

I wonder by when do you think you could do 1 or more thing in each area?

If you have some big celebrations planned for after the exams :D then maybe
there's only time for just 1 or 2 things in the next few days... I think
the high priority things are to refine your project plan (and add it to the
git repo gh-pages branch blog) and get your development environment set up
with the font manager source code I put into the git repo master branch.

Eli and I are both living in New York City so we'll grab dinner together on
Monday night to go over your proposal again, but it will be crazy early
Tuesday morning in India at that moment (
http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meetingtime.html?iso=20160502&p1=179&p2=771)
so we can't set up a video call... but if you can get the project plan
refined on Monday evening or before, that will be awesome :) And then Eli
and I can use a 'live editor' like etherpad so you can see our edits with
'action replay' and then we'll make a pull request with the final version
for you to review.

--
Cheers
Dave