[Sugar-devel] slider puzzles

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 00:06:49 EDT 2016

On Sun, Apr 24, 2016 at 9:44 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> Hi Sam!
>
> On 24 April 2016 at 21:33, Sam Parkinson <sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Most activities are not under the sugarlabs org.  I'm not really sure
>> which is better, but the previous idea seemed to be:
>>
>> github.com/sugarlabs == maintained by sugarlabs.  Not all activities are
>> at all related to sugarlabs.  => browse is the only official sugarlabs
>> activity.
>

> While I'm still waiting for clarification about what is needed to move
> activities on git.sugarlabs.org to Github, and to migrate issue tracking to
> Github, it seems good to me to move all activities already on Github to the
> sugarlabs github org:
>
> Doing so makes them discoverable, more easily searchable, helps show the
> size and activity of the overall Sugar project, and most importantly gives
> the developers a sense of belonging to the community.
>
> Do you see any downsides to the sugarlabs org having all activities that are
> actively maintained?
>
> Cheers
> Dave

It would be a great boon to the Translation Team if the activities
were co-located on git hub (in some fashion to be determined).  It
would greatly simplify the creation of Pootle-VCS linkages for commit
of L10n (when the Pootle restoration project reaches that phase).

We used to have an active 'Activity Team"
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Activity_Team that would chip in to
maintain activities.  I think we need to organize something like that
again.  Too much good work gets done by some young kid in Uruguay and
then gets left behind to bit-rot.  The diaspora to GitHub has only
aggravated the problem of keeping such works going beyond a junior
developer's period of engagement.

I am working on compiling a canonical list of activities, their repos
and L10n status (among other details).  I'll share an early draft
here, I am open to help in building this sheet out, but a local
spreadsheet is working best for me at this phase of development.  I'll
share future in-progress versions upon request and hope to be able to
see this information in a self-updating form at some point in future
(parsed from activity.info files, perhaps).

A shorter, less-detailed listing of those projects currently hosted on
Pootle is maintained here:

https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Translation_Team/Pootle_Projects/Repositories

There are some things (like the slider puzzle question) that will
require resolution as the list fills out.

cjl