[Sugar-devel] Vision

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Wed Apr 20 21:58:31 EDT 2016

James

If you have an image you want tested that can be installed on an SD card
for the XO-1, I'll make the time. Since the XO-1 has an early version
installed,
it should be possible to measure time for various operations. I probably
won't realistically be able to devote time until mid-May.

I generally advise teachers to have the students close the lid rather
than shutdown between lessons. I also show them the frame and the number
of running activities. Many impatient kids will have 10 or more
instances running. So restoring the throttle we once had would be very
helpful - possibly more than swap.

The Apple II was very successful in schools - anyone want to compare its
performance with an XO-1? Generally, students at deployments did not buy
the XO and do not have any other computer available. Here in the
Philippines, smartphones and tablet are common. However, in Rwanda, the
Nokia still reigns.

Most importantly, the XO gives the students a chance to learn that they
can make the computer do what they want it to do and not just accept
what they are given.

Tony