[Sugar-devel] Vision

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Apr 19 22:04:08 EDT 2016

Good question, Justin.

Yes, there is a vision.  The draft
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Vision_proposal_2016 does talk about
"every computer device, from desktops and laptops to tablets and
smartphones".

I work for OLPC.  While OLPC has contributed to make sure Sugar works
on OLPC hardware, it works just as well on other hardware, and
sometimes much better, as hardware improves.

Sugar can be installed now on PC compatible hardware or as a virtual
machine using Fedora 23 SoaS.  This is very different to OLPC hardware.

On Tue, Apr 19, 2016 at 08:30:20PM -0500, Justin Overton wrote:
> I have some questio s about the vision of sugar after reading another thread
> about the conference.
>
> I like the idea of sugar as a platform, but I'm curious about how tied it is to
> OLPC hardware. Is there a larger vision to create a platform that can be used
> in a more widespread fashion? I discovered this project after getting tired of
> all the freemium apps that trick my young kids into buying things.
>
> I love the idea of sugar, but it's been around a while and the it still seems a
> bit esoteric. I'd be more than happy to start cranking out code if I can see
> the bigger picture.
>
> In the meantime I'm trying to find a way to target sugar and Android without
> duplicating core logic.

James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/