[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Allow running Sugar Activities outside Sugar

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Apr 18 17:34:18 EDT 2016

Yes, I like it.

It will allow a gradual transition to conventional desktop for a
learner, instead of a binary choice.

It avoids having to port each activity to dual use.

It may support activity development without having to use an emulator
or switch desktop.

I'm looking forward to seeing it widen, as the feature page suggests.

On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 09:37:18AM -0400, Chris Leonard wrote:
> Sebastian,
>
> This seems like a very elegant solution that provides greater flexibility in
> invoking Sugar, very nice indeed.
>
> cjl
>
> On Mon, Apr 18, 2016 at 3:57 AM, Sebastian Silva <[1]sebastian at fuentelibre.org>
> wrote:
>
>     Hi friends,
>
>     I've been wishing to be able to nicely run Activities from a regular
>     desktop for a while.
>
>     So I patched sugar-toolkit-gtk3 to allow for this (patch at
>     [2]https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/pull/315 )
>
>     The patch allows to run Activities by using the sugar-activity script.
>     I've tested this in Gnome, XFCE and Sugar itself.
>
>     In order to use it I created a small notification tray applet that allows
>     to start activities and even invoke journal items:
>     (the menu is coming from clicking on the Sugar Labs "S" Logo)
>     Activity path.
>     [cid]
>     source at:
>     [3]https://github.com/icarito/sugar-launcher-applet
>
>     This patch to sugar-toolkit-gtk3 does not affect operation under Sugar.
>     Might we even consider bundling the applet with sugar?
>
>     The reflection logic is to provide a path-to-adolescence without such a
>     steep disconnect between Sugar and Gnome.
>     Also as a help for developers to keep Activities in mind without need for
>     an emulator.
>
>     This is the result of scratching an old itch. I'll love to hear your
>     comments!
>     Also I created a Feature page at [4]https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/
>     FreeDesktop_integration
>
>     Sugar on,