[Sugar-devel] Allow running Sugar Activities outside Sugar

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Mon Apr 18 03:57:03 EDT 2016

Hi friends,

I've been wishing to be able to nicely run Activities from a regular
desktop for a while.

So I patched sugar-toolkit-gtk3 to allow for this (patch at
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/pull/315 )

The patch allows to run Activities by using the sugar-activity script.
I've tested this in Gnome, XFCE and Sugar itself.

In order to use it I created a small notification tray applet that
allows to start activities and even invoke journal items:
(the menu is coming from clicking on the Sugar Labs "S" Logo)
Activity path.

source at:
https://github.com/icarito/sugar-launcher-applet

This patch to sugar-toolkit-gtk3 does not affect operation under Sugar.
Might we even consider bundling the applet with sugar?

The reflection logic is to provide a path-to-adolescence without such a
steep disconnect between Sugar and Gnome.
Also as a help for developers to keep Activities in mind without need
for an emulator.

This is the result of scratching an old itch. I'll love to hear your
comments!
Also I created a Feature page at
https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Features/FreeDesktop_integration

Sugar on,