[Sugar-devel] Sugar-Server enhancement

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Sun Apr 17 22:06:15 EDT 2016

Hi, Dave

It is absurd for reasons I have specified the first time James made this
statement. The two scripts are in /usr/bin. They are invoked by the
installed Sugar image. The scripts are enabled by
/usr/lib/python2.7/site-packages/jarabe/The status is specified in
/home/olpc/.sugar/defaults. I have in front of me an XO-1 with Build 85
(Sugar 0.82.1). If has the two scripts in /usr/bin.

This version used a file config in /home/olpc/.sugar/default (pre-dating
gconf, let alone gsetting). This file contains:

[Server]
backup1 = SHC84201B0A at schoolserver.linuxtag:backup .

The real problem is not the absurdity of claiming that ds_backup is not
part of Sugar but that the statement attempts to close community
discussion. I grant it may not be a capability important to James, but
it is to me. I have great respect for James Cameron's technical
capabilities. I can also understand if he does not feel that this
feature scratches his itch (or serves the needs of his employer).
However, this does not entitle him to impose his judgment on the community.

Tony