[Sugar-devel] The future of Sugar on XO-1s

Sean DALY sdaly.be at gmail.com
Wed Apr 13 08:24:41 EDT 2016

On Wed, Apr 13, 2016 at 2:49 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> I think users will still need to install and run an X server to run unix
> GUI programs; but there are several good X servers for windows, so this
> should be easy

it's true that I can run some FLOSS GUI software using an X server on my
Mac (the GIMP for example). This required installing OSX developer tools, a
hoop too far for easy deployment on that platform.

In the past I proposed offering prebuilt Sugar VMs (with language/keyboard
set for example) for Oracle VirtualBox, which has a little-known licensing
advantage: runtime installer distribution for educational purposes.
VirtualBox means a teacher or parent could set Sugar in fullscreen yet
return to their usual environment with a click. The (enormous) downside of
that solution is the massive size of a VM, and maintaining a matrix of
prebuilt VMs would be a lot of thankless work. My idea had been to approach
Oracle about helping with that.

Sean