[Sugar-devel] [UKids] Re: The future of Sugar on XO-1s

Adam Holt holt at laptop.org
Mon Apr 11 13:35:41 EDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 11, 2016 at 1:06 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> On 11 April 2016 at 10:41, Adam Holt <holt at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Apr 10, 2016 at 11:40 PM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>>

>>> Are you saying that some corresponding laptops were NOT given to poor
>>> kids as promised, and the foundation just netted the cash? :)
>>>

>> [Yes]

There is no simple yes/no answer to your question as you and ten-cent
journalists would understandably love, when measurement was simply not part
of OLPC's culture.  As Negroponte devoutly proclaimed.  I bought a tough $1
tape measure at the hardware store yesterday, and should ship it to him
with a proper thank-you note for bringing us where we are today, as
historians are today beginning to assess OLPC's long-term legacy more
properly.

That's a bold assertion, but fair enough. In the worst imaginary scenario,
> the OLPC Foundation board transferred the money into their personal Panama
> accounts, or spent it on lavish junkets, or whatever.

Be judicious in never attributing to malice (
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanlon's_razor) what can be explained by lack
of servant leadership (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Servant_leadership).