[Sugar-devel] Issue tracking on Github?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Sun Apr 3 09:04:02 EDT 2016

On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 12:24 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> On 2 April 2016 at 22:21, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I was just asking (again) the other day
>>

> Can you provide a URL for where you asked about this? :)

I was asking in a private email with scg who maintains out trac instance.
He had asked me what if anything needing doing and I mentioned that it
would be great to migrate to issues if there was (and presumably there is)
a means of aggregating among a collection of repos. (I will check to
confirm it was in a private thread).

> if someone has an issue aggregation tool since our issues are scattered
>> across multiple repositories. Presumably we are not the first to have
>> bumped into this problem.
>

> I don't understand what you mean :)
>
> Assuming that Github is now the central hosting service for Sugar Labs, I
> expect each logical sugar labs project that is 'official' to have its
> central git repository hosted in the sugarlabs github organization, and to
> have its own issue tracker.
>
> Since Github automatically places backlinks in issues that are referred to
> by other issuer or PRs, it is relatively convenient to manage the set of a
> github organization's per-repo issue trackers.
>
> Some free software projects even set up github projects solely to use the
> issue tracker as a discussion forum, eg https://github.com/ipfs/faq/
>
> I believe that all github users that join a github organization will get
> emailed every issue, pr, and comment for every github project within that
> github organization.
>
> I would also assume that all non-github issue trackers would be configured
> to prominently direct users to the new github url, and disallow new issues,
> or simply to have their theme templates hide the 'new issue' link, and
> eventually to be configured read only and then fully archived by conversion
> to a static HTML site.
>

> Here is the problem as I see it (and as Tony mentioned earlier). A large
percentage of Sugar code (activity source) is not hosted on
github.com/sugarlabs, although more and more of it is hosted on github. So
many issues are not found in repos within the Sugar Labs "github"
organization. How do developers hear about these issues? How do potential
contributors search for these issues? How do users know where to post an
issue? If there was a mechanism for aggregating issues across multiple
disperse repos, we could address most of my issues with migrating from
trac. This is not rocket science, but it is something someone has to build
and/or maintain. (I just noted in a later thread that you suggest we clone
all activity repos into the Sugar Labs organization which would address at
least part of my concern. Still not sure how people search for issues
across multiple repos.)

(One other trivial question about issues: is there a way to build a
standardized system of issue tags across multiple repos in an automated
way? I presume with the github API we could do it.)

-walter

--
Walter Bender
Sugar Labs