[Sugar-devel] Issue tracking on Github?

sam at sam.today sam at sam.today
Sun Apr 3 01:12:08 EDT 2016

Hi Dave,

On Sun, Apr 3, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> Hi
>
> When sugar git moved from http://git.sugarlabs.org/sugar-old to
> https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar  in 2013, why did issue tracking
> stay at bugs.sugarlabs.org and not move to
> https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/issues ?

Why do we want to mix our coding and our program?  Our bug tracker is
sorted by program (eg. Sugar, Write, TurtleBlocks), but our code as
many more lines.  We need to make reporting bugs as easy as writing
steps to reproduce.  Go and ask a student in a classroom and half can
probably do that.  But none of them can tell you the difference between
sugar shell and sugar toolkit gtk3 and sugar datastore (I don't even
know what that does).

> I think it would be a good idea to move the issues, since pull
> requests can then be linked to issues (and even close them
> automatically by including "closes #issue_id" in the commit/pr
> message :) and development is concentrated in 1 place, with 1 UX.

I'm pretty hyped that we use hyperlinks currently to link patches to
issues.  That works fine.

We still write "closed #X" in our commits.  We used to have something
to automatically close it.  For some reason we decided to go back to
manually closing tickets - separating the testing from the coding.

> There are only 182 open issues on bugs.sugarlabs.org
> (https://bugs.sugarlabs.org/query?status=new&status=assigned&status=accepted&status=reopened&component=Sugar&order=priority)
> so moving them over would likely take one person 3-4 hours. I'm happy
> to do this if it would be helpful.

No, open issues are not the only thing.  We need closed issues as well
- all the commits, code comments, etc have references to them.  If we
fragment the issue placement we will eventually forget about trac and
loose the old issues.  One place is better than 2.

If we migrate to a new platform, we also need to take care to keep the
numbers the same.  That makes a github migration hard - it is a closed
platform and we don't control that aspect of it.  We need to choose a
new platform that gives us more flexibility - maybe something like
GitLab, Phabricator [1], Bugzilla or Trac.

Thanks,
Sam

[1] https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/