[Sugar-devel] Issue tracking on Github?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Apr 3 00:38:14 EDT 2016

On 2 April 2016 at 22:18, Tony Anderson <tony_anderson at usa.net> wrote:

> The Sugar activities, which represent 90% or more of the Sugar lines of
> code, are being relocated to the github accounts of individual
> developer/maintainers - not under a single Sugar account.

I think that is fine :) If they would like to make their activity
'official' then they can ask to be invited to the github.com/sugarlabs
organization, and then after they accept the invitation, they can go to
github.com/username/repo/settings and at the bottom move the repo to the
org.

(Or, someone who has joined the org with appropriate permissions can fork
their repo into the org, to maintain an 'official' copy of it, and the
initial developer or anyone else can then make pull requests to it.
However, I think the first way is better since then Github will show that
as the 'upstream' repo on network graph pages, eg
https://github.com/sugarlabs/sugar/network)

> At the moment this information is recorded in the activity.info file of
> the activity itself. This change has not yet been implemented across all of
> the activities.

Cool - that seems like a good milestone for Sugar Labs this year. I added
it to https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Vision_proposal_2016

> I don't understand the process. However, it appears that OLPC makes the
> release images. It decides which Sugar activities will be included in a
> release. I gather that SugarLabs has no say in this.

That sounds great to me :)

As I understand it, Sugar is a desktop environment for all computers that
can run GNU, while OLPC makes "OLPC OS," which is a GNU distribution
tailored to XO laptops that packages Sugar and GNOME desktops.

> I don't know the technical details, but it would seem desirable to
> separate issue tracking into separate Sugar and Sugar activity branches.

That is unavoidable with the way Github is designed.

> The issues for Sugar related to releases (e.g. 0.108) and for Sugar
> activities to version numbers. Update to Sugar activities are independent
> from Sugar releases.

However, surely some Sugar releases are requirements for some activity
versions? Eg, Chat 78 (
http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4069) says it requires a
Sugar release of 0.86 or higher (and may not work with 0.108, according to
the metadata on that page)

--
Cheers
Dave