[Sugar-devel] Issue tracking on Github?

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Sun Apr 3 00:24:51 EDT 2016

On 2 April 2016 at 22:21, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:

> I was just asking (again) the other day

Can you provide a URL for where you asked about this? :)

if someone has an issue aggregation tool since our issues are scattered
> across multiple repositories. Presumably we are not the first to have
> bumped into this problem.

I don't understand what you mean :)

Assuming that Github is now the central hosting service for Sugar Labs, I
expect each logical sugar labs project that is 'official' to have its
central git repository hosted in the sugarlabs github organization, and to
have its own issue tracker.

Since Github automatically places backlinks in issues that are referred to
by other issuer or PRs, it is relatively convenient to manage the set of a
github organization's per-repo issue trackers.

Some free software projects even set up github projects solely to use the
issue tracker as a discussion forum, eg https://github.com/ipfs/faq/

I believe that all github users that join a github organization will get
emailed every issue, pr, and comment for every github project within that
github organization.

I would also assume that all non-github issue trackers would be configured
to prominently direct users to the new github url, and disallow new issues,
or simply to have their theme templates hide the 'new issue' link, and
eventually to be configured read only and then fully archived by conversion
to a static HTML site.