[Sugar-devel] Sugar Gallery - Proposition - Review Request

Iain Brown Douglas iain at browndouglas.plus.com
Mon Sep 14 10:23:56 EDT 2015

Hi All,

"Sugar Gallery" [1], work-in-progress, perhaps a companion to a new
www.sugarlabs.org. It would assume no previous Sugar experience. It
might include tutorial intros to Sugar basics, and showcase other Sugar
assets, eg Sugar Features videos and online Help Activity.

My slides in Sugar Gallery use Remark [2]. There is a snag, Remark does
not seem to display perfectly in Browse. The font is incorrect and
status "Loading" appears almost continuously.

I have been working on Sugar Gallery as an improvement to the "front
end" of SoaS Loader [3], where, perhaps, some of the content would be
better served online.

SoaS Loader [3] (as an Activity) can be tested by git cloning it from
github [4] but more easily using it as "SoaS Loader online" [5]. To
test, point Browse Activity (from say a Sugar Live CD) at the link.

My own review of SoaS Loader:

SoaS Loader is unsatisfactory in that it is too big, some parts of the
tutorial are ok for an Activity, other parts would be better served
online. Page layout / wording does not suit both both formats. Further
work is required.

Feedback from testers was that they needed more guidance/information, so
it has turned out bigger than I would have liked.

They also commented that SoaS Loader is not properly supported by the
sugarlabs wiki - this is something I must try to fix.

Of course I would welcome any feedback on SoaS Loader or Sugar Gallery.

Thanks in advance,

Iain Brown Douglas

[1] http://inkyfingers.github.io/gallery/
[2] https://github.com/gnab/remark