[Sugar-devel] Bug 1240354 - SoaS live x86_64 20150706 does not login from live system user

Jerry Vonau me at jvonau.ca
Fri Sep 4 19:12:23 EDT 2015

> On September 4, 2015 at 12:37 PM Martin Abente
> <martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Hello Peter,
>
> On Fri, Sep 4, 2015 at 5:50 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > On 4 Sep 2015 00:22, "Martin Abente" <martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> > > No, is not present. Also, that does not explain why the same 106
> > packages work perfectly fine on fc23 when are built for fc22, while
> > they
> > fail when built for fc23.
> > >
> > > As you mentioned in a previous reply, the only difference in build
> > > time
> > I also noticed, looking at the logs, is
> > the -specs=/usr/lib/rpm/redhat/redhat-hardened-ld' flag. which is
> > passed to
> > all gir-* (gobject introspection) calls.
> > >

> > Yes, it's a well advertised feature of F-23, but we're not the first
> > distro to enable it and unless there's dodgy stuff going on in sugar it
> > should cause no issues.

Added both bugs listed in bugzilla as blockers for Bug 1199775 -
(harden-failure)

> I rebuilt [1] the sugar-toolkit-gtk3 106 packages for fc23, adding
> "%undefine
> _hardened_build" [2,3] to the .spec file, and now Sugar works fine on
> fc23.

Comparing build.logs on F23 with/without hardened_build these stick out vs
F22:
-DGLIB_MIN_REQUIRED_VERSION=GLIB_VERSION_2_42
-DGLIB_MAX_ALLOWED_VERSION=GLIB_VERSION_2_44

Think those flags get pulled into the buildroot via gtk3-devel[1] with the
change introduced in July[2] , glib2 with F22 having 2.44 and F23 having
2.45

> I could not figure out why having _hardened_build enable breaks sugar,
> but
> it looks like disabling could be an option for now.

I have a theory that hardened_build enforces those flags while 2.45 is
installed in the buildroot but doesn't fail the building.

Jerry

1. https://github.com/GNOME/gtk/blob/master/configure.ac
2. http://osdir.com/ml/commits.gnome/2015-07/msg04431.html