[Sugar-devel] [support-gang] XO 4 reimage

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Oct 18 21:07:08 EDT 2015

G'day Christine,

Thanks for asking.

The green dots will have gaps.  Part of upgrading from XO-1.  Your
photograph is fine.

The inconsistent connections are impossible to fix entirely, but you
can reduce how often it happens:

1.  if testing alone, turn off automatic power management in Sugar, My
Settings, Power, before turning on the next XO-4,

(otherwise an XO-4 will be asleep when the next XO-4 connects, and
they can choose different network id or channel, and neglect to show
the new icon,)

2.  rather than let the XO-4 choose the ad-hoc wireless channel,
choose it youself by clicking on the icon, then click on Join,

(otherwise an XO-4 may choose another channel than the other XO-4 in
the room),

3.  use a wireless access point instead of ad-hoc wireless, especially
if there are more than 14 XO-4 laptops,

(so that there is never any ambiguity about the network name or
channel #12808, and to avoid a wireless connection hang #12763),

4.  when a class of XO-4 seems to be split into two separate networks,
pick the smallest subset and turn every single one of them off, wait
for them all to be off, then turn them on.

(because the way that Sugar chooses an ad-hoc wireless network is by
name only, and if there are two networks with the same name the system
can't tell which one is which, and just joins one of them ... happened
to me on Saturday with just five XO-4),

5.  turn off any non-essential wireless access points, like mobile
phone internet sharing.

(because each of them is transmitting a beacon, or replying to probe
requests, and this can make it impossible for the classroom
environment to sustain ad-hoc networks).

Hope that helps!  I can guide you on how to prove if any of the above
makes a difference, but it's usually easier to just do it.

--

Technical References:

#12808, (ad-hoc networks are partitioned),
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/12808

#12767, (also reduced by item 1 above),
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/12767

#12763, (ad-hoc fails with more than 14 laptops).
http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/12763

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/