[Sugar-devel] How to install TuxMath and TuxPaint on Release 13.2.5+ on "ALL" XOs!

Jerry Vonau me at jvonau.ca
Fri Oct 16 09:46:27 EDT 2015

> On October 16, 2015 at 4:02 AM James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>

> On Thu, Oct 15, 2015 at 08:53:21PM -0500, Jerry Vonau wrote:
> >

> > > On October 15, 2015 at 4:24 PM James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org>
> > > wrote:

> > > No, I meant 2.0.3.

> > > Interesting.
> >
> > Yes very, that is why I went with the Fedora version for testing.

> > > No thanks.
> >
> > Any reason why? Maybe not filed by you personally but that seems to be
> > the
> > accepted way when having to deal with upstream Fedora code. Or one
> > forks
> > the code and supports the fork IMHO.
>
> No reason to.
>
> Sources here have several fixes after 2.0.3 that might be of interest:
>
> http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/tux4kids/tuxmath.git/log/

If I file the request at Fedora that will be handy, thanks.

> > > Yes, but that's what the public wanted, despite the waste of space.
> >
> > Well I might suggest have a different bundle_id for the different
> > platforms, with the activities named as such. Maybe something like
> > tuxmath-4-arm.xo with the bundle_id=arm.org.tuxpaint might be the way
> > to go
> > forward without much more effort. That idea is not thought all the way
> > through and is open for discussion.
>
> Doesn't sound simple for the end user.  If they can't just click on a
> bundle to install it, they will need hand holding.  When they need
> hand holding, they either abandon the idea, or ask for help from the
> close-to-mythical support gang.

I don't see how the end-user click to install is affected, the activity
developer would be preparing the .xo bundle for installation. I'm
suggesting that if the bundle contains large libraries at activity
packaging time one could include support for a single architecture while
having the architecture info form part of the activity name. The bundle_id=
part would be for the updater backend to be able to tell the difference
between available support and maybe displaying on the SL's activity
website.

> > > No, not at this stage of the evolution of Sugar.  That horse has
> > > bolted, in my opinion.
> > >
> > Agreed.

> > > Good idea.  But I've no answer.
> > >

> > Well the user base of whatever number of XOs/classmates that SL claims
> > are
> > in use might be looking for one.
>
> Apart from Tony, my guess is that this subset of the user base is also
> mythical.

????

> > > The .ini files are in git, so changing them would be a patch, sorry
> > > if
> > > that was not clear.
> > >

> > The OSbuilder part was posted, should a deployment want to use
> > tuxmath so I don't think I need to send one in for the official
> > release.
>
> It wasn't in Adam's readme.txt, only some speculation that George is
> seeking a way.

The readme is intended for an at home do-it-yourself howto, I pointed
George to the info on how to use the OS-builder module.

> > > I've no answer.
> > >

> > Maybe German does?

> > > Same here.  Oh well.
> >
> > Knowing your limited bandwidth I did do a quick shakedown of .106 on
> > F23
> > SoaS, much better now that it boots.
>
> You might also be interested in the Ubuntu build which has working
> collaboration.  ;-)

No not really, as with any image the fix might be in the build scripts and
not in the distribution proper. It's still broken on Fedora, that is my
concern. Remember SL is the upstream source for Fedora's source used to
package up sugar for redistribution in fedora.

> http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Ubuntu

What I would be interested in is the build scripts that built the
installer's iso image (noted as being x86_64) to create an i686 equivalent
to test on XO-1.5. I think I could boot off of a usbkey for some quick
testing but the i686 iso is not available to try.

Not being an Ubuntu user, how is the ARM support on Ubuntu?

Jerry