[Sugar-devel] [support-gang] congrats James & All for imminent Release 13.2.6!

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Nov 8 15:04:18 EST 2015

Adam, thanks for your interest, but it feels like you're undermining
and pre-empting me, casting fear and doubt on a release before it is
even available.  A use of focalism or anchoring.  In future I'll be
loath to make Wiki edits in preparation for a release, and may delay
them until after release.

I've no schedule for when download.laptop.org will be available.  It
has gone down at a critical time.

For prior releases, the Australian mirror site is working fine, see
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/olpc/

To try 13.2.6 now, install 13.2.5, connect wireless, and run 'sudo yum
update', wait for it to finish, then reboot.

By the original schedule, Sugar 0.108 was to have reached feature
freeze by now, but at a development team meeting this scheduled was
pushed out.  I'm fine with that.

So I took Sugar 0.107.0, gave it a really careful review and test of
every patch since 0.106.1, and decided OLPC OS could use it.  My risk
is that some new feature may be removed, but I've controls in place
for that risk.  The fixes in 0.107.0 justify this risk.

The only significant new problem is #4904 (the journal favourite icon
refresh delay), and is in release notes.  If you find other problems,
please report them as soon as you find them.

Martin's description of "stable" and "unstable" software engineering
terms is correct.  To put it differently, it refers to whether further
change is planned.  It has nothing to do with stability of behaviour;
reliability, reproducibility, or software quality.

If you're going to keep misinterpreting developers, then eventually
the developers will have to stop using their correct language, and
this will quell communication.

Sugar Labs has no software quality process apart from testing, and so
OLPC OS 13.2.6 is a step in that direction.

@Martin, at next development team meeting, let's discuss deprecating
stable and unstable words.  The words aren't helping people like Adam.

On Sat, Nov 07, 2015 at 09:41:18AM -0500, Adam Holt wrote:
> Hopefully OLPC's [1]download.laptop.org will come back to life later this wkd
> possibly?  So all can try this on the classic 4 XO laptops:
>
> [2]http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/13.2.6
>
> While OLPC Release 13.2.6 has technically been released today according to [3]
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Releases, in anticipation of James Cameron's formal
> announcement in coming days, can Gonzalo and Martin Abente provide a bit of
> supportive context around the stability of "unstable" 0.107 (included in
> 13.2.6) vs "stable" 0.108 expected Feb 1st 2016, to calm deployments' worst
> fears?
>
> [4]http://sugar-devel.sugarlabs.narkive.com/XR4185MI/
> announcing-unstable-0-107-0-release
> [5]https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.108/Roadmap