[Sugar-devel] Sugar-devel Digest, Vol 79, Issue 61

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Sat May 23 13:35:59 EDT 2015

Somewhere I got lost. I had originally understood docker as a mechanism
to run Sugar on platforms other than an XO.

In learning to program in Python, I lean to the idea that it should be
done with the Terminal Activity (command line, nano text editor). The
use of an integrated
development environment (Pippy, IDLE, IPython, Eclipse) can be
introduced as an advanced topic - incidentally IPython runs quite nicely
on an XO).

I can't image a professional building a web application using Pippy. I
think students should learn to build web applications using standard
methods: HTML, CSS, and Javascript. Again, using the command line and
nano. The GSOC project to build an interactive javascript shell reflects
the fact that Python has an inherently better development environment
and that Javascript really needs an interactive display of the web page
(and debugging via the console.log mechanism).

Although Sugar is becoming more dependent on internet access, that is
not an option for many deployments. Flask or Django could be introduced
as an advanced topic with the framework hosted on the school server.
This will require some careful planning so that student interaction does
not introduce instability since there is normally no qualified system
administrator available to deal with server problems.

Tony