[Sugar-devel] Fedora 22 destroys Gtk.Menu based palettes

Sam P. sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Sat May 16 21:27:30 EDT 2015

Hi All,

As per usual, this new Gtk release breaks parts of sugar.  Interestingly it
breaks the Gtk.Menu based palette system this time!  (Lucky we were having
a design discussion about this a while ago)

So how does it break the Gtk.Menu palettes?

* They are now seizure inducing and change size when you move your mouse.
* They have lots of extra borders now
* They always position downwards.  Even if that means the palette will be
just 100px tall - they go downwards
* They don't position correctly to keep the connected look between the
frame buttons and the palette.

I have done a quick screen capture that demonstrates all of these. [1]

So I not looked into what would be needed to solve this, however, do we
really want to invest more time in the Gtk.Menu system?  From the previous
design discussion ("Palette Animations" thread), we could just use a
modal.  I think that that would be a much more simple solution to implement
- but might not go well with our release cycle.

Thanks,
Sam

[1]  https://vid.me/hfx4