[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] [Marketing] New Fedora Spins Site

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Wed May 13 17:26:15 EDT 2015

Looks great. FWIW, I had done some editing of Sam's text, included below.

Understanding and creating content
----------------------------------

* Write. Make a story, poem, report or anything with write. Use
  formatting tools to add images or colors. Work together with friends to
  write together in real time.
* Labyrinth. Put complex ideas on the computer. Use Labyrinth activity to
  mind map about new concepts, to explore new ideas or to reflect.
* FotoToons. Use images and text to create comic strips. FotoToons provides
  many options to add motion, speech and though to creations.
* Paint. Paint provides to tools to make artistic creations. Use brushes,
  stamps, shapes, text and images to create beautiful pictures.

Learning by doing
-----------------

* Turtle Blocks. Learn programming concepts with snap together blocks.
  Create art, animations and interactive programs in a graphics focused
  environment. Export your creations as SVG, PNG, or Logo and/or Python.
* Physics. Create real life simulations using shapes, motors, ropes and
  bolts to explore physics in the world. Work collaboratively on your
  simulation with friends.

Getting technical
-----------------

* Pippy. Program applications in a simple yet powerful environment.
  The Python back end provides unlimited opportunities within a simple
  language and environment. (Programs created in Turtle Blocks can be
  imported into Pippy from which new Sugar activities can be created.)
* Develop. Make Sugar activities within Sugar itself. Develop provides
  templates for new games, native and web activities as well as simple
  environment to edit existing activities.

Exploring the wider world
-------------------------

* Browse. Access the internet with Browse activity. Bookmark sites to
  research with friends and save sessions to the Journal to keep organized.
* Get Books. Download electronic books from all over the web. Explore the
  classics and modern books with ease.
* Read. Explore reports, documents, books and comic books with the
  Read activity. Bookmarking and commenting tools integrate with the
  Journal to allow limitless possibilities.

Reflection on what you've learned
---------------------------------

* Journal. The Sugar Journal provides an interface into a datastore of
  everything you've created in Sugar. It also provides access to files
  in the GNU/Linux file system and a variety of web services. The
  Journal also acts as a lab notebook: it contains metadata about our
  activities, including a description of your work and commentary on
  your work from others.
* Portfolio. The primary approach to assessment within Sugar is to
  make learning visible to the user. The Portfolio provides a means to
  create periodic snapshots in slideshow form of representative work
  that shows what the learner can do, not just what s/he knows.

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs
http://www.sugarlabs.org