[Sugar-devel] Palette Animations

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Tue May 12 08:47:41 EDT 2015

I would not invest work in improving the palette animations for the
following reasons:

* Right now, we have two different palettes implementations. The old, based
in Gtk.Menu,
used only when we need submenus (Journal, Clipboard) and the new.
Was proposed remove the old implementation [1]
* The palette code is a nightmare, and now Gtk have the popovers,
that provide a similar functionality [2]
* There are a lot of bugs related to palettes [3]
* Popovers will implement animations [4]
* We can remove a lot of code. Remove code is better than write code :)

If I had free cpu cycles, I would invest in research if is possible theme
Gtk popovers to look as our palettes, and if there are any limitation
than could be a blocker.

Gonzalo

[1] http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/4768
[2] https://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkPopover.html
[3]
http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/query?status=accepted&status=assigned&status=new&status=reopened&description=~palette&col=id&col=summary&col=status&col=type&col=priority&col=milestone&col=component&order=priority
[4]
https://plus.google.com/+WorldofGnomeOrg/posts/Tf3xBLZi13E?pid=6118354207602136850&oid=112026213399155142823

On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 5:23 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:

> G'day Sam,
>
> I'm fine with that as long as the animations can be configured off for
> old hardware.
>
> I think the official video was artistic work, not an implementation.
>
> --
> James Cameron
> http://quozl.linux.org.au/

Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Software for children learning