[Sugar-devel] Community XO software builds

Sebastian Silva sebastian at fuentelibre.org
Wed May 6 01:11:39 EDT 2015

Hi Samuel,

I think your volunteer work is important.

It is not clear to me exactly what the focus is of your images, nor
where the repositories with the ini files for the builder, or the
download link for the ready images.
This is probably the reason you have so few downloads logged.

Perhaps we should put all of this in a Wiki page?

I am interested, but haven't been able to test because when I asked last
time for the SD card images you told me you would build them but never
let me know when/where I could get them.

I understand it may be frustrating to work without feedback but it's
simply the way it works at this point, unless you are in the field.

Also, keep in mind that deployments are interested in updating OS images
once every one or two years.

Thanks, in the name of the children, for the work you do.
I'll try to respond your questions inline below.

Regards,
Sebastian

On 05/05/15 23:54, Samuel Greenfeld wrote:
> I saw some discussion last week about the community XO software builds.
>
> This seems to be something which gets many people excited.
>
> However according to my web server, there have not been very many
> downloads of them.
>
> If I may ask:
>
>   * Who actually is using/testing these images?

Not me, yet.

>   * Why?

I maintained in the past official images for Peru.

>   * Is there a reason you are not looking into using an official (OLPC
>     or deployment) build?

Yes we like to roll our own to include native languages, features (e.g.
Sugar Network), etc.

>   * Have you engaged OLPC or another party to work on changes?

I try to work upstream.

>   * What direction do you believe the builds should go?

The best possible experience for end users. Basically, on XO, means
performance tuning.

> Building XO builds by repacking existing work is relatively trivial.
>
> But the low-level kernel, driver, and OS work necessary to support XOs
> with newer operating systems (as well as newer XO batteries) is
> something I cannot do, and where we really need help.
>
> Without guidance from OLPC or others, I could build thousands of XO-#
> laptop images.  But unless it looks like a significant number of
> deployments/children actually would benefit, there really is no point.
>
> ---
> SJG

I+D SomosAzucar.Org
"icarito" #somosazucar en Freenode IRC
"Nadie libera a nadie, nadie se libera solo. Los seres humanos se liberan en comunión" - P. Freire