[Sugar-devel] Community XO software builds

Samuel Greenfeld samuel at greenfeld.org
Wed May 6 00:54:09 EDT 2015

I saw some discussion last week about the community XO software builds.

This seems to be something which gets many people excited.

However according to my web server, there have not been very many downloads
of them.

If I may ask:

   - Who actually is using/testing these images?
   - Why?
   - Is there a reason you are not looking into using an official (OLPC or
   deployment) build?
   - Have you engaged OLPC or another party to work on changes?
   - What direction do you believe the builds should go?

Building XO builds by repacking existing work is relatively trivial.

But the low-level kernel, driver, and OS work necessary to support XOs with
newer operating systems (as well as newer XO batteries) is something I
cannot do, and where we really need help.

Without guidance from OLPC or others, I could build thousands of XO-#
laptop images.  But unless it looks like a significant number of
deployments/children actually would benefit, there really is no point.

---
SJG