[Sugar-devel] Git Backend Architecture | GSoC'15

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Sun Mar 22 22:51:39 EDT 2015

Hi, Gonzalo

Rsync backup to the server is currently implemented via
/usr/bin/ds_backup.py. The implementation is flawed in that if a user
must delete Journal items because of storage space restrictions, those
items are also deleted from the backup. A better approach is to backup
individual Journal objects. Users should be able to delete items locally
and then restore them from the server as needed. If an XO becomes
unusable, the user should be able to restore the Journal on a new machine.

The concern I expressed about git is that implementation will require a
modification to activity.py. Currently activity.py on resume loads the
Journal object. Subsequent operations modify that object so that it
impossible for the user to create a new version. I assume this git
strategy is to make the datastore directory git enabled. This would mean
that activity.py would load the currently committed object and then
store the updated object. If this object is immediately committed to
git, that should work. However, suppose the user opens paint with a
previously created image and then changes it. This would require a new
object not a new version of an existing object. How is that to be handled?

Tony