[Sugar-devel] Git Backend Architecture | GSoC'15

Martin Abente martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com
Fri Mar 20 11:24:00 EDT 2015

On Fri, Mar 20, 2015 at 12:16 PM, Gonzalo Odiard <godiard at sugarlabs.org>
wrote:

>>> The objective of have a git backend is have a versioned
>>> Journal, where you can store all the intermediate steps for a entry.
>>>

>> Yes, but at least for this project we should reduce the scope to one
>> activity. We mentioned Turtle Blocks because it made sense.
>>

> Why implement for one activity and not for the Journal?

I am not saying it should ever be used by only one, but I am talking about
the scope for the GSoC project. I think there will be enough challenges in
back and front end as it is, if we want to get something working.

>>> Other than that, does not have too much sense complicate the interaction
>>> with the user.
>>>

>> The user should see even higher level options to operate ie., CRUD
>> operations and versioning options, from the UI.
>>

> Hmm... is this still target to 6 - 12 kids? What is the use case?

Yes, I am not saying they should type "git clone" or "git reset --hard",
these kind of concepts presented in a way more simplified way to the users,
but having a git based back end and not introducing basic versioning
options it seems a waste.