[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Planning for the future (Samuel, Greenfeld)

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Thu Mar 19 05:37:19 EDT 2015

Hi, Sean

I think we are on the same page. The model of deployments (outside of
those nationally sponsored) has been a sponsor in the developed world
has supplied laptops to a school in the developing world. Sugar must
grow in the developed world market to continue the flow of sponsors
which are needed if those on the other side can maintain some semblence
of progress.

The G1G1 concept was far more clever than the creators suspected. The
Get1 folks learned what the laptops could do and that they were needed
on the other side of the digital divide.

Mike Dawson is right, the current model is the feature phone with those
with more assets wishing for a smartphone. What is important is that
experience with using electronic devices with computing capability is
diffusing rapidly.

However, I am not so hopeful of rapid spread of broadband internet at an
affordable price. I was an accidental attendant at a meeting of staff
from a local high school who are contemplating getting computers
(Apple). They said the Department of Education will supply 48000 pesos
per year to offset internet charges ($1000).  In South Africa and many
other areas, the usage plans charge for the amount of data transfered.
This would very hard on schools which allow some 50 concurrent users to
surf freely.

The norm in the secondary schools is a computer lab. Some schools reuse
old desktops (with CRT monitors) as 'thin clients'. The idea is to share
one computer with multiple monitor-keyboard-mouse workstations (the thin
clients). The problem with the Raspberry Pi is that it does not have a
monitor (keyboard and mouse are easy - a touch-screen monitor may
eliminate the need for a mouse). However, monitors remain very
expensive, often cheaper when wrapped in an Android device.
My sense is that we could attach the RPi to a school server and the
students could work with it through the school server using their own XO
screens as the RPi monitor. This would be very useful to support a
science lab with a school kit of sensors, robots and so on.

So where we are in clear agreement, success and acceptance of the Sugar
initiative in the developed world is essential to keep the pool of
sponsors we need for the other side of the divide. At the same time, I
think we need to develop a proof of concept that shows that students can
show significant improvements in learning by using Sugar - the point you
are making with the Journalist.

I asked the principal of the school at the meeting what was the
educational objective of the program. The answer was each school was to
figure that out on their own.
Apple seems to have adopted the Negroponte model, buy them and students
will learn (worked in Field of Dreams).

Tony