[Sugar-devel] webm woes

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jun 18 02:47:57 EDT 2015

summary: you have a failing video _player_ app, not a failing _video_.

On Wed, Jun 17, 2015 at 03:51:22PM -0400, Tim Moody wrote:
> on an XO4 with 32016r4 I install

you are testing sugar-0.104.1 with browse-157 on an xo-4.

> .	gstreamer1-plugins-vmeta-0.0.20130822-1.fc18.armv7hl.rpm
> .	gstreamer1-libav-1.0.9-1.fc18.armv7hl.rpm
>
> if I go to the TED Technology talk, first video served from kiwix I
> get video controls but nothing plays.

where can i do the same?  give me a pointer.  i could speculate, or
guess, but there's a risk i'd guess wrong, and would waste time
helping you out on a problem you aren't having.

> If I download that video from the server and upload to
> http://timmoody.com/downloads/test/TEDTechBergbreiter.webm it plays
> from there.

yes, but that's a built-in player activated from content-type in http
headers.  not really relevant except to prove you have the codecs.

> the server version plays on win 7 chrome and ff and on my android
> phone.
>
> If I try to play on my BB Playbook, it complains about not having a
> flash player, but elsewhere the url has video.webm, such as from the
> win 7 chrome:
>
> http://xsce:3000/ted_en_technology_2015-02/I/2170/video.webm
>
> elsewhere I thought webm generally plays and flash too for that
> matter.

i'm not confident i've parsed all that, so i'll ignore it.  no, i
don't use or have an xsce instance.

> any ideas?

my guess is that you went to a web page with a javascript, html5, or
flash video player, and something about that player, once it was
downloaded into the browser, didn't work.

be sure to remember; being able to play a video file format has little
to do with being able to run a video player app in a web page.

you need both to work.

also, on the xo-4, test the failing page with empathy, firefox,
webkitgtk/GtkLauncher, and webkitgtk3/GtkLauncher.  these are all
slightly different javascript and html5 implementations.

the best video player apps are those with a strong pedigree, active
development, quality control loop, and number of users serviced, which
is why youtube often works well.  apps tested with small groups of
users often perform badly.

look at the in-page video player app.  you'll find it in a view page
source feature.  talk to the people who wrote it.  look for a new
version.  look for web browser console messages.

in short, this is a web site compatibility issue; probably a web site
provided by xsce.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/