[Sugar-devel] Making Record support external cameras

Gonzalo Odiard godiard at sugarlabs.org
Tue Jun 9 11:00:46 EDT 2015

Now that there are cheap usb microscopes, would be nice if
Record activity could use them.

I am trying that in the branch multiple_cameras [1]

Right now, is very dumb, if there are a device /dev/video1
when the activity starts, a button to switch cameras appear in the toolbar.
When the button is pressed the view switch to the next camera available.

This works on Fedora 22, but we need test it on other systems.

In particular in the XO, with the camera I have for testing,
no device is created, then I can't  test it.

When I connect the camera, in /var/log/message I see:

kernel: usb 1-2: new full-speed USB device number 10 using xhci_hcd
kernel: usb 1-2: New USB device found, idVendor=04fc, idProduct=0561
kernel: usb 1-2: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=0
kernel: usb 1-2: Product: Generic Digital camera
kernel: usb 1-2: Manufacturer: Sunplus Technology Co., Ltd.
kernel: gspca_main: spca561-2.14.0 probing 04fc:0561

In my desktop, where the device is created, I see the same plus:

kernel: input: spca561 as
/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-2/input/input21
mtp-probe[28006]: checking bus 1, device 10:
"/sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:14.0/usb1/1-2"
mtp-probe[28006]: bus: 1, device: 10 was not an MTP device

Is this because something is not included on the XO kernel, or can be
solved adding
some package?

If we can solve the device creation, we can make Record smarter
monitoring the directory /sys/class/video4linux and adding the switch camera
button if a new camera appear.

NOTE: I have tried with two usb cameras. One didn't worked at all in my
desktop,
even when a device was created, but trying with cheese on gnome didn't
worked even. Then, if you try with a camera and do not work, check with
cheese.

[1] https://github.com/godiard/record-activity/tree/multiple_cameras
--
Gonzalo Odiard

SugarLabs - Software for children learning