[Sugar-devel] libflashplayer.so and WebCam issue

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Jun 9 04:16:44 EDT 2015

On Mon, Jun 08, 2015 at 07:39:51PM -0300, Gustavo Duarte wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I'm having troubles using the webcam of a XO 4.0 with sugar 0.104.0

There is XO-4, but no XO-4.0.

> The problem happens when i want use the webcam on sites like
> http://webcamtoy.com/es or http://webcamoio.com/es, these kind of
> sites use plugin video flash player for access to the XO resources,
> webcam and mic.
>
> The image showed by the webcam is very ugly, as you can see on
> https://plus.google.com/102144018413535329430/posts/8otWagVC4JZ.

Your image shows classic high quantity of green pixels, which happens
when a program expects RGB data but the camera supplies YUV data.

It does not happen with the ov7670 camera.

It does happen with the siv121c camera.

You can check the camera in use by typing "lsmod" command, look for
ov7670, siv120d, siv121c, or siv121d.  These kernel modules are for
different cameras used by XO laptops.

> I wonder if the problem is on the flash driver or how the sites are
> using the plugins.

Your problem is likely to be with either the Flash plugin, GStreamer,
or the kernel.  It will have nothing to do with Sugar.

You can isolate, or exclude, the Flash plugin and Sugar by using this
test at Terminal:

	$ gst-launch v4l2src ! video/x-raw-rgb ! xvimagesink

When this test is run on an XO-4 with ov7670, no problem.

When this test is run on an XO-4 with siv121c camera, lots of green
pixels and corrupt image.

By removing the format request the problem can be avoided:

	$ gst-launch v4l2src ! xvimagesink

The same sort of problem can also occur with broken cable or
connector.  You can test the camera and cable using Open Firmware:

	ok test /camera:yuv
	ok test /camera

> I have understand that OLPC ask to Marvell the development of flash
> player, so there are something we can do to try this works ?
>
> Some configuration to change ?

I don't know which camera you have, nor which version of Fedora, so I
cannot recommend any plan.

When I wrote the kernel driver for siv121c about a year ago, the RGB
format feature did not work, and so it was left out.  The driver does
not advertise RGB format.  The driver was tested with Sugar's Record
activity and GStreamer.  You can find the details in ticket #12785.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/