[Sugar-devel] Tuxmath

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Tue Jun 2 11:43:39 EDT 2015

I tried to install TuxMath with:

sudo yum --downloadonly --downloaddir=/home/olpc/Documents install tuxmath

This failed on an xo-1.75: (13.2.0) with the message Error: Cannot
retrieve metalink for repository: fedora/18/armhfp

It also failed on an xo-1 (12.1.0): with the message Error: Cannot
retieve metalink for repository: fedora

However, an xo-1.5 (13.2.1) downloaded three files:
     SDL_net-1.2.8-2.fc18.i686.rpm
     t4k_common-0.1.1-8.fc18.1686.rpm
     tuxmath-2.0.1-3.fc18.i686.rpm

I installed with
    rpm -ivh *.rpm with no reported problems

However, when I executed tuxmath:

    $tuxmath

it started. However, after a short while, I got a Segmentation fault.

I thought that Nathan installed these rpms and then ran the Tuxmath
activity instead of running from the command line. I downloaded and
installed tuxmath-2.xo.
It failed to start because activity.info is not correct. I changed it to:

exec = sugar-activity activity.TuxMathStart

After rebooting, I launched TuxMath successfully. However, when I
clicked on 'play', nothing happened.

The log showed an exception in activity.py at line 185:  f =
open(script_path,'w') where script_path is None. The script_path
variable is set at line 192 in

the button_play_clicked_cb , as os.getenv("TUXMATH_SCRIPT"). The script
that was to be executed calls a binary module in TuxMath.activity/bin.
Hopefully, these modules were recompiled for ARM.

I don't know how any of this relates to installing missing dependencies;
however, it is clear that  tuxmath in ASLO is a no-go.

Tony