[Sugar-devel] [Systems] Error on trac reading a bug #4863

Bernie Innocenti bernie at codewiz.org
Tue Jul 28 19:48:09 EDT 2015

On 07/28/2015 09:27 AM, Samuel Cantero wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 6:52 AM, Sam P. <sam at sam.today
> <mailto:sam at sam.today>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Bernie,
>
>     On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 2:12 PM Bernie Innocenti <bernie at codewiz.org
>     <mailto:bernie at codewiz.org>> wrote:
>
>         1. We need monitoring for containers health with notifications when
>         parameters go off thresholds. Similar to what Munin does.
>

>     I'm not sure how that would help us.  A container running out of
>     resources doesn't crash - parsoid runs almost using all the
>     allocated memory and parsoid+trac+others hit their cpu quotas
>     sometimes and just keep running.
>

> A container running out of memory dies. By default, the memory limit
> value for the container is set to twice as much as the memory parameter
> we specify while starting a container. The limit value is the sum of
> memory and swap.
>
> We do not have swap accounting enabled yet on freedom, but for sure we
> are going to have it at the next reboot.

In the best Google tradition, freedom doesn't have any swap space at all :-)

> You can test it with the stress image (as we did before for the CPU):
>
> sudo docker run --rm -m 128m --name testmem scg/stress --vm 1 --vm-bytes
> 256M
>
> If you allocate over twice the amount of memory we assign you will get
> the following error:
>
> stress: info: [1] dispatching hogs: 0 cpu, 0 io, 1 vm, 0 hdd
> stress: FAIL: [1] (415) <-- worker 7 got signal 9
> stress: WARN: [1] (417) now reaping child worker processes
> stress: FAIL: [1] (421) kill error: No such process
> stress: FAIL: [1] (451) failed run completed in 3s
>
> By default, Docker kills processes in a container if an out-of-memory
> (OOM) error occurs. We can change this behaviour on a container but we
> are not doing it now.

See my response to Sam P.: killing the entire container is almost always
the right response to an OOM.

>     Maybe it would be more useful to monitor client metrics, like can we
>     reach the service over http?
>
> I guess It would be useful. We can do it with nagios.

Cool, does it support Docker? I used Nagios a long time ago at the FSF
and it was pretty good. The reason I was using munin at SL is that it
was easier to setup and I didn't know Nagios back then. Moreover, Munin
seems a bit of a dead project nowadays, so I'd be happy to switch.

Can we run the Nagios frontend in a container too?

>     That is a feature built into docker.  I've enabled it in
>     container.yml (as a global default) and restarted trac with the new
>     parameters.
>
> Great. Maybe we need to enable historical resource usage in cadvisor.
> This would help us to understand if a container has crashed because it
> has run out of resources.

Cool, another useful feature I didn't know about. Yes, please, let's
enable resource graphing. Is there an http frontend to look at the numbers?

 _ // Bernie Innocenti
 \X/  http://codewiz.org