[Sugar-devel] [Announcing] unstable 0.103.2 release and API, UI and String freeze.

Jerry Vonau me at jvonau.ca
Fri Jan 16 21:04:27 EST 2015

> On January 16, 2015 at 6:25 PM Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> >> On January 16, 2015 at 6:17 AM Martin Abente
> >> <martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com> wrote:
> >>

> >> Hello everyone,
> >>
> >> These are the tarballs for the _last_  0.103.x UNSTABLE release, and
> >> with
> >> this release we reach the API, UI and String freeze [1].
> >>
> >>    -
> >>
> >>http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/glucose/sugar/sugar-0.103.2.tar.xz
> >>    -
> >>
> >>http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/glucose/sugar-toolkit-gtk3/sugar-toolkit-gtk3-0.103.2.tar.xz
> >>    -
> >>
> >>http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/glucose/sugar-artwork/sugar-artwork-0.103.2.tar.xz
> >>    -
> >>
> >>http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/glucose/sugar-datastore/sugar-datastore-0.103.2.tar.xz
> >>    -
> >>
> >>http://download.sugarlabs.org/sources/sucrose/glucose/sugar-runner/sugar-runner-0.103.2.tar.xz
> >>

> > To help with testing it would be nice if RPMS based on these versions
> > could
> > be made available via Fedora's updates-testing repo (or maybe koji) for
> > F20-F21.
>
> We've never pushed new major releases of any sort to a stable Fedora
> release as there's too much QA and testing required and no one ever
> commits to doing it.

Sorry, but I don't believe "updates-testing" can be considered stable, that
is for, you know... testing. I'm not suggesting pushing to "updates" where
the packages could be updated without user intervention. One must
specifically enable the updates-testing repo to receive the new rpms. Guess
the ball is in sugarlabs' court then.

> On the plus side I've pushed this to rawhide and people can download a
> nightly live image from tomorrow and spin it up on either a USB stick
> or their favourite virtual platform and have a self contained test
> environment and get it all with little effort.

I'd rather not download a half gig iso file for testing < 5MBs worth of
sugar code. Pity sugar 0.104 will miss rawhide's branching cutoff for F22
by 3 days[1][2]. From what I read above there is no hope for 0.104 to be
part of F22 then.

Jerry

1. http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.104/Roadmap
2. http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Releases/22/Schedule