[Sugar-devel] subject changed from upper case

Jerry Vonau me at jvonau.ca
Sun Jan 11 14:51:13 EST 2015

Let's analyze why this email was flagged as spam with an eye to helping
instead of a blanket "I'll report you".

> On January 11, 2015 at 11:39 AM Ryan Cunningham <rvskmbrly3 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> The message you have sent appears to be spam:

So the total is above the threshold, which is made up of:

        *  1.6 SUBJ_ALL_CAPS Subject is all capitals

Using ALL CAPS in the subject line, 1.6
Please use proper case here, the use of ALL CAPS is considered to be
shouting also.

> >     * 0.2 FREEMAIL_REPLYTO_END_DIGIT Reply-To freemail username ends in
> >     digit *      (ifeanyi peter <ifeanyipeter42[at]yahoo.com> )
> >     * 0.2 FREEMAIL_ENVFROM_END_DIGIT Envelope-from freemail username
> >ends
> >     in *      digit (ifeanyipeter42[at]yahoo.com)

0.4 for having digits in the email addresses.

> >     *  1.7 DEAR_SOMETHING BODY: Contains 'Dear (something)'

I'm not sure if I agree with such a high rating for being polite with the
use of "Dear..." but together with the above ratings puts this email over
the required=3.5 threshold.

> >     *  0.0 HTML_MESSAGE BODY: HTML included in message
> >     *  0.0 T_DKIM_INVALID DKIM-Signature header exists but is not valid
> >     sunjammer.sugarlabs.org <http://sunjammer.sugarlabs.org/>
> I’m sorry to tell you this, but junk mail messages are not accepted on
> the Sugar Labs development mailing list.

Think the subject line is what put this email over the spam limit. That is
easy to fix by the sender.
Nothing below I would consider as spam, no html, url links, ads, just a
request for a meeting.

> If you continue posting to this mailing list, you may be reported to the
> Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) of the U.S. Department of Justice’s
> Federal Bureau of Investigation and the National White Collar Crime
> Center.

Some of the new developers may not have much experience with what amounts
to business correspondence and may need a bit of guidance in the best
practices. What a great way to scare off eager new developers, threats of
the FBI being involved.

> > On Jan 9, 2015, at 6:45 AM, Ifeanyi Peter <ifeanyipeter42 at yahoo.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> > Dear Sir,
> >
> > A proposal to do a triage meeting with suggestions below:
> >
> > 1) Wrapping up loose ends before the sugar 104 release  and the end of
> > GCI
> >
> > 2) To block off a 3-hour window
> >
> > Thank you as my proposal is considerable granted timely.
> >
> > kind regards,
> > Ifeanyi Matthew

Just my 2 cents,

Jerry