[Sugar-devel] About comments in pull requests and tickets

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Jan 9 14:42:05 EST 2015

On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 11:42:16AM -0300, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
> In the process to review a patch, recently Quozl added this comment:
>
> "Really a pity all this discussion gets lost in each pull request when it
> should really go on the ticket. ;-)" [1]

I'll expand on that.

It is no longer possible to find the entire status of a problem in
Sugar, because the information is spread over many services with
inadequate linking.

Here's my dream:

The ticket tracks the problem.  The patch is a proposed solution, and
implicit request to review.  The pull request is a notification of
completion and an explicit request to review and merge.

In my dream, here's what should be happening;

- ticket task assignment and progress, should be in the ticket, so
  that everyone who is interested in the ticket knows the status,

- design discussion about how to solve the problem, should be in the
  ticket, or on the mailing list with a link in the ticket, or in
  GCI with a link in the ticket.

- discussion on code style, clarity of comments, mistakes, excessive
  change, should all be against the _patch_ in github, not the _pull
  request_,

- comments on the impending merge of the pull request should be in the
  pull request.

I don't think this is an easy social problem to solve, and I don't
think there is any simple technical solution.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/