[Sugar-devel] [SoaS] Sugar on a Stick, USB-HowTo as an Activity, in Home view.

Thomas Gilliard satellitgo at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 17:49:45 EST 2015

On 02/26/2015 02:28 PM, Iain Brown Douglas wrote:
> On Thu, 2015-02-26 at 16:53 +0000, Iain Brown Douglas wrote:
>> On Thu, 2015-02-26 at 08:02 -0800, Thomas Gilliard wrote:
>>> It is also possible to just run the command: "liveusb-creator" in root
>>> terminal
>>> after # dnf install liveusb-creator is run.
>>>
>>> The new USB-creator will not show the PC harddrive just the USB's as
>>> they are inserted and removed.
>>> It also allows a (dd) overtwrite option [5] or the traditional ability
>>> to set a persistence file.
>>>
>> Thanks for pointing out that liveusb-creator has been upgraded. I will
>> test it.
>>
> I have not previously tested liveusb-creator because of this comment on
> [1]:
>
> "...Live USB Creator
>          (This installation method is NOT recommended for LONG-TERM usage
>          of Sugar on a Stick!! Catastrophic data corruption may occur
>          when the USB stick gets full! See why.)"
>

> Is this critique regarded as valid?
>
> Is it the case that liveusb-creator makes *one only* persistent storage
> area, with zero "Home filesystem" as opposed to livecd-iso-to-disk
> creating two?
Live USB Creator  has a new feature is allowing a destructive (dd)
install to USB [1]
This is a safer way to move the xxx.iso to a USB and make it bootable.
look at the referenced .png and the wiki page link a gave earlier [2]
The fedora 21 installer (root terminal in sugar:#liveinst" is shown with
screenshots and narration here [3]

If you choose persistence and move slider it is only persistent for a
short time and does corrupt and
stop eventually.

For a slow but really persistent USB install to a 8 GB usb ext4 with no
swap with "liveinst"

I use external USB HD all the time to install to and they are cheap and
quite large these days.

Tom Gilliard
satellit

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/File:Cinnamon_liveusb-creator_f21.png